Frequenty Asked Questions:
- Read the ReadMe file!
- As you play, save often in case a rollback is needed.
- Most bugs and crashes result from improper mod load order (incompatibilities).
- Oblivion's console is opened by pressing "~" on the keyboard. Type all console commands without quotes.
- Console command: "TCL" disables collisions, allowing you to get unstuck, or walk through locked areas.
- Q: Why is Lost Spires causing crashes (CTDs) when loading certain cells?
A: The issue is different for each player depending on PC hardware specs (RAM, video card, etc.) and one’s mod load list. Some people experience no CTDs while running LS, others experience many. Tweaking mod load order can resolve many CTD issues. It’s recommended to position LS at the end of your load list. The later a mod is loaded, the more priority it has over potentially conflicting mods.
- Q: After loading Lost Spires, Oblivion hangs up or freezes upon exit.
A: If you are experiencing this issue, try Zarkis' solution: Load LS in the Construction Set. Navigate to Gameplay >> Edit Scripts. Navigate to Script >> Open. Open up the scripts named "ChiliPepper01Script01", "CircularArtifact01Script01", and "MusicBox01Script01" one-by-one and delete all code contained within the begin OnEquip player and begin MenuMode blocks. This will resolve exit-freezing, but will also make several of the Archeology Guild artifacts non-activatable from inside one's inventory. Not to worry, they are still activatable outside one's inventory.
- Q: Do Lost Spires enemies level with the player?
A: Yes, nearly all Lost Spires enemies will become harder as one gains levels to ensure a challenge for any level of player. Many Lost Spires enemies also feature high minimum level caps (e.g., level 15-20), so that low level characters can’t breeze through a quest intended for seasoned adventurers.
- Q: I can’t hear what the Archeology Guild members are saying.
A: Voiceovers are now part of v14, so this isn't an issue. v13 and below don't have voiceovers. That is not a bug.
- Q: Archeology Guild members aren’t displaying dialogue when I speak to them.
A: Certain mods may cause an incompatibility, resulting in dialogue not showing up. This results from the AddTopic Box Bug. Open the console with "~" and type: "AddTopic ARArcheologyGuild".
- Q: I’ve cleared out the first Spire and my quest won’t update.
A: At the end of the Newfound Spire you will find a large second chamber. In this chamber, up a set of stairs, sits a quest item on a pedestal. Pick up the item to trigger a journal update.
- Q: I’ve been instructed to talk to Domitian Verus, where is he?
A: Verus is one of the Archeologists. He can be found upstairs, in the Archeology Guild, in his office.
- Q: I’ve cleared out the first portal in the Pristine Spire but received no journal update.
A: Inside the first portal, next to the Warlock Coffer, lies a skeleton corpse. Examine the corpse and pick up the quest item in its inventory. This will trigger a journal update.
If the corpse isn't there, open the console by pressing "~" and type: "SetStage ARAnotherSpire 40" Speak to Verus. Verus will ask for the scroll, but since you don't have it, you'll need to type: "SetStage ARAnotherSpire 50". Speak to Verus again. He will direct you to Sova, but since you still don't have the scroll you'll need to type: "SetStage ARAnotherSpire 60". Speak to Sova again and conclude this matter. Follow your journal from here on out.
- Q: Display Case F, in the Archeology Guild, is empty.
A: There is a collision problem with this particular display case. The Catapult Schematic it houses sometime falls through, into the case. Open the console and type: “TCL” to toggle collisions. Attempt to bump the Schematic out of the case. If this fails, one can load Lost Spires with the Construction Set and manually place the Catapult Schematic into the world. Navigate to Items >> Misc Items >> SchematicCatipult01 and drag this object into any cell you’ll visit in-game, like ArcheologyGuildLobby.
- Q: I’m experiencing bugs with Teav’s Funeral. One of the Guild members starts following me around, or after the funeral is completed, all the Guild members ever say is “Let us observe a moment of silence.”
A: Sometimes the Funeral scene bugs out. Firstly, make sure you're running the latest version of Lost Spires. If you still experience the problem, you can avoid the funeral altogether by not talking to any guild member for 5 minutes (real-time) after the 11 o'clock pop-up. After 5 minutes, you'll get another pop-up saying you missed the funeral. Now just go to Norlene and continue the main quest. You'll miss the funeral, but there won't be any negative effects.
If the funeral scene becomes bugged, and you don't have a pervious save to roll back to you can hotwire some of the funeral quest variables to fix the problem:
Open the console in-game by pressing "~" and type the following:
set aaaReveal01.funeralActive to 0
set aaaReveal01.funeralMissed to 1
set aaaReveal01.funeralOver to 1
set aaaReveal01.talkStartFuneral to 0
set aaaReveal01.funeralTrigger01 to 0
set aaaReveal01.returnCei to 0
set aaaReveal01.returnSova to 0
set aaaReveal01.returnRythor to 0
set aaaReveal01.returnVerus to 0
set aaaReveal01.returnNorlene to 0
Type in the lines separately and hit enter after each. Afterwards, speak to Norlene.
- Q: Where is the key to the locked loot chest in the Bandit’s Lair – the one over the spiked pit?
A: The key is right under your feet, sitting on a rocky shelf half-way down the pit. You’ll need to use magic to reach it.
- Q: I’ve cleared out the Bandit Lair but haven’t found any signs of Dwyff, the bandit leader I was supposed to kill.
A: Sometimes enemies wander off or teleport to strange, unreachable locations. If you can’t find Dwyff, open the console and type: "setStage ARVengeance 80".
- Q: I’ve cleared out the Primeval Hollow, found the Lost Deity Shrine, but my quest won’t update.
A: At the base of the Lost Deity Shrine sits a quest item. Pick it up to trigger a journal update.
If the quest item is missing proceed as follows. Open the console with "~" and type "setStage ARPrimevalHollow 30". Hit enter. Proceed to the Guild to speak with Norlene. She's not going to want to talk to you because you don't have the quest item. Open the console again with "~" and type "setStage ARPrimevalHollow 40". Hit enter. Talk to Norlene. Read over some of the dialogue options that you may have missed. Afterward, type the following lines into the console to hotwire the next leg of the main quest:
"StartQuest ARTheElvenHero" >> press enter
"SetStage ARTheElvenHero 10" >> press enter
Now speak to Sova.
- Q: I’ve killed the Minotaur in the Lost Ayelid Ruin but there’s a locked door to which I can’t find the key.
A: The key to this door sits atop the pedestal in the central room. Sometimes, due to collision issues, the key can fall through, into the pedestal. Open the console and type: “TCL” to disable collisions and pass through the locked door. Type “TCL” again to re-enable collisions.
- Q: I’ve cleared out the Lost Ayleid Ruin, navigated the Labyrinth, but my quest won’t update.
A: Past the Labyrinth, in the tomb of Aeon IV, there is a quest item lying on top of the Sarcophagus. Pick it up to trigger a journal update. If it doesn't trigger, open the console with "~" and type: "setStage ARTheElvenHero 50". Proceed to the Guild with the stele.
- Q: I’ve cleared out the Overgrown Spire, found the portal, cleared out the portal, but my quest isn’t updating.
A: In the room where you found the portal there’s a large swirling pit of lava. In the middle of the pit hangs a glowing blue sword, in mid-air. Pick up the sword to trigger a journal update.
- Q: I’ve cleared out the Fifth Spire and found the corpse within, but my quest won’t update.
A: Search the corpse, pick up the diary it contains, read the diary. This will trigger a journal update. If the diary or corpse is missing you'll need to obtain the diary through the Construction Set:
Load Lost Spires with the Construction Set by opening up CS and going to File >> Data. Double-click on "Oblivion.esm" and "The Lost Spires.esp" to check them. Highlighting The Lost Spires.esp, click the "Set as Active File" button and then click "OK". Wait a minute for the files to load. Should any error messages pop up, click "Yes to All". In the Cell View window make sure Interiors is selected from the World Space drop-down and navigate down to "ArcheologyGuildLobby". Double-click this entry to load up the Archeology Guild cell. In the Object Window (to the left of the Render Window) browse to Items >> Book >> SolanDiary. Drag this item into the Render Window and position appropriately. Save the changes and close CS. Load up the game as usual to retrieve the missing item.
- Q: What does the Zinj do? How do I get the Zinj to work?
A: An easter egg for clever, hardcore players, the Zinj requires that you feed it 3 of every type of item that it likes to get it on your side. A pop-up will appear once this happens. Continue feeding it more of the same after that to recieve various gifts. So what does the Zinj like? Shiny precious things of which there are 6 types. A further hint it provided in the book entitled “Sentinels of Kar’toom”?
If you're still stuck, see Azier700's Zinj Video Guide.
- Q: Where can I find the book entitled “Sentinels of Kar’toom”?
A: It’s a quest reward for freeing the Evil Sorcerer’s Captive in the Overgrown Spire.
- Q: What’s the practical use of Archeology Guild items such as posters, schematics, Dwemer artifacts, etc.
A: Not all items have practical uses. Posters, schematic, and Dwemer artifacts are purely decorative, existing for lore purposes. Use them to decorate your dwelling. If an item isn’t equipable, and it doesn’t have a pop-up window when activated, it’s not a functional item.
- Q: How do I hang posters on walls?
A: This requires installing a mod called Decorator Assistant.
- Q: Lost Spires has lots of potential; it can be made much better. Are you planning to extend it?
A: Lost Spires is not a “potential”, it’s a complete, released project. Yes, many aspects can be improved upon, and it can certainly be extended in myriad ways. I’ve dedicated as much time as I thought necessary to this project in order to wrap it up. The rest I leave to the modding community, which is free to extend LS as they see fit.
- Q: Lost Spires is great, do you have another mod in the works?
A: Realize that LS took 1500 hours to create, and is now costing many hours to maintain. Such a project is not undertaken lightly. I no longer have the time or resources to mod full-time. No new project is currently planned.
- Q: Loading up LS and talking to Teav yields no dialogue options.
A: This results from the AddTopic Box Bug. Open the console with "~" and type: "addtopic ARCanIJoin".
- Q: I've killed Dywff, the bandit leader, but don't know what to do now. The quest isn't updating.
A: Deep in the bandit lair, in the flooded area where you kill Dywff, is a tent. Enter the tent and recover a scroll artifact lying on the table. If it's not there, look around, it might have been knocked on the floor during combat.
If you scroll is no where to be found, you'll need to load up LS in the Construction Set, setting it as the active file. Then, in the Cell View, under "World Space", select "Interiors". Scroll down to "BanditTent01" and double-click it to load the cell. Now, in the Object Window navigate to Items >> Book >> "WarlockScroll02". Drag this item right into the render window of the cell your previously loaded. Position the scroll to your liking, and go in-game and retrieve it.
- Q: I've found the blue floating sword above the swirling lava pit in the Overgrown Spire, but activating it produces no result.
A: Make sure you're in the Overgrown Spire at the appropriate time in the quest. If all else fails open the console with "~" and type: "SetStage ARFindingTheHorn 30". Then pick up the sword.
- Q: The dialogue subtitles are running too fast for me to read. How do I make them run slower?
A: All LS dialogue features silent mp3s, which are basically blank 10 second files designed to prolong the amount of time a subtitle stays on screen. Folks running non-U.S. versions of Oblivion have differently named npc voice folders, thus causing Oblivion to overlook the U.S. silent mp3s. Follow the instructions on this link to fix the problem.
- Q: I've killed the Avatar and am now trying but can't escape the dungeon. Rocks are falling too fast, the firewall catches up to me, and God mod doesn't work. I'm very frustrated.
A: If you're stuck in the escape sequence, and it's just too hard, open the console by pressing "~" and type: "player.coc ArcheologyGuildRythorsRoom", hitting enter afterwards. Then type: "SetStage ARTheRevelation 115", hitting enter afterwards. This will teleport you out of the dungeon so you can finish the quest.
- Q: Can I use Lost Spires assets in my mod, or make a foreign translation, or release my own plugin?
A: Yes, Yes, and Yes. No need to ask for further permission. Many people have already done so.
- Q: Can I alter the official Lost Spires esp file?
A: No. The offical esp file should not be altered. Newly introduced changes can potentially break an otherwise stable build. Just like you shouldn't alter the official Oblivion esm, please do not alter the official LS esp.
- Q: I've accidentally sold the Scroll Map which I looted from the Bandit leader's tent. How do I continue my quest?
A: Load Lost Spires with the Construction Set by opening up CS and going to File >> Data. Double-click on "Oblivion.esm" and "The Lost Spires.esp" to check them. Highlighting The Lost Spires.esp, click the "Set as Active File" button and then click "OK". Wait a minute for the files to load. Should any error messages pop up, click "Yes to All". In the Cell View window make sure Interiors is selected from the World Space drop-down and navigate down to "ArcheologyGuildLobby". Double-click this entry to load up the Archeology Guild cell. In the Object Window (to the left of the Render Window) browse to Items >> Book >> WarlockScroll02. Drag this item into the Render Window and position appropriately. Save the changes and close CS. Load up the game as usual to retrieve the missing item from where you placed it. Speak to Norlene, then Sova.
- Q: After examining Solan's body my quest didn't update.
A: Open the console with "~" and type: "setstage ARTheRevelation 50". Then read Solan's Diary again to get the remaining journal entires.
- Q: I cleared out the Bandit Lair and killed Dwyff before starting getting the quest to do so. How do I progress?
A: Open the console with "~" and type: "SetStage ARVengeance 80". Hit enter. Then take the scroll found in the Bandit Lair back to the Archeology guild.
- Q: I've killed every single bandit in the Bandit Lair but i cant seem to find the artifact or the key to the box under the spikes which i believe holds the artifact?
A: The artifact is in a chest inside a tent in the cave. It's in the flooded area. The box over the spikes is not quest-related. The key is located on a small rock shelf half-way down the spiked pit. You must use Telekinesis to grab it.
- Q: In the vampire lair you reach through the gold mine, is there something that can be done with the conjurer skeleton that is laid out on the altar deep in the lair?
A: No, that skeleton is purely decorative.
- Q: I can't seem to find "Rodon Dakkon". He is not in any of the houses in Cheydinhal.
A: He has his own house called "Dakkon's House". It's not hidden, so look around. It also has a map marker. If you can't see the house, you're likely experiencing a conflict with another mod, more likely Open Cities. A patch for Open Cities is available on the Bethesda forums.
Thread - Credits - Gallery - Donations - Site Map - Contact
Site by Sharp Web Design